It's 7 AM. You're reaching for that first (or maybe second) cup of coffee. You think, "I really need the pick-me-up, but I'd rather skip the energy rollercoaster and give my body some extra nutritional support." Look no further! We've put together a list of ways to make your coffee healthier and help tame the unwanted side effects.
4 Ways to Supercharge Your Morning Coffee
Drinking black or sweetened coffee on an empty stomach is a recipe for adrenal disaster. Without a meal or any fiber, fats, or protein to temper the caffeine, coffee can send your hormones and blood sugar into overdrive, which can cause that anxious, jittery feeling. While the temporary energy spike can be nice, the drop and subsequent need for more caffeine is often inevitable.
One great way to help mitigate this effect is to combine your coffee with a protein source. While it's ideal to wait until you eat a meal to enjoy your coffee, that's not always an option. For those days when you can't fit it into a meal, you can add:
- a scoop of protein powder
- collagen powder
- add your coffee into a smoothie with your favorite protein, frozen banana, and nut milk
- If you tolerate dairy well, simply adding a splash of organic whole milk or heavy cream is also a great option
2. Healthy FatsBy now, you've probably heard the hype around Bulletproof Coffee. While there's no need to drown your morning cup in MCT oil, there are indeed a variety of potential benefits to including healthy fats in your morning coffee, including boosted energy and focus, and helping to mitigate the hormone and blood sugar rollercoaster. We recommend doing your own research and finding which source suits you and your dietary needs the best! Options include:
- Organic coconut oil
- MCT oil
- Organic ghee
- Grass fed butter
- Almond butter (Yes, for real! It makes a creamy, delicious treat!)
3. AdaptogensAdaptogens are natural substances, primarily herbs, that help your body adapt to stress and fatigue. They do so by regulating important hormones! They're kind of like extra super superfoods. Just be sure to choose a high quality source. (You can even find some coffee blends with adaptogens already included, such as Four Sigmatic!) Here are a few that can easily be mixed into your morning latte and the benefits they may help provide.
- ashwagandha: helps reduce physical, mental, and emotional stress
- reishi: good for immune support and longevity
- cordyceps: muscle tone and energy
- chaga: rich source of B-vitamins and energy
- maca: balances endocrine system and rich in fiber
4. Treat Yourself (with Healthy Alternatives)Sometimes, you just really want that creamer and sugar, though you know it's not the healthiest choice. Don't fret, you can still get all the joy of a flavored coffee with these healthier (and perhaps even tastier,) alternatives. Healthy swaps include:
- cacao powder, which is also a great source of antioxidants!
- cinnamon, which is delicious and can have a regulating effect on blood sugar
- homemade nut or seed milks
- real vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- unsweetened creamers like Nutpods
Healthy Coffee RecipeWe'll leave you with a delicious and health coffee concoction for those days you want a treat that also treats your body well. It combines healthy fat and adaptogens for one powerful cup of joe!
- 8-12 oz organic coffee
- 1 tbs organic coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ashwagandha
- 1/2 tsp moringa
- 1/2 tsp maca
- 1-2 tsp organic cinnamon
- a splash of organic maple syrup or honey
Mix with an electric whisk or frother and enjoy!