We’ve all heard the importance of refueling after a workout, but when you’re trying to sneak in a workout before work, at lunchtime, or between errands and running kiddos around, it can be easy to overlook the whole post-workout snack thing. While it’s tempting to just hold out until your next meal or hit the drive thru for a sugary latte, it’s crucial to muscle building and recovery to get in a healthy snack within 30 minutes of your workout.
The best post-workout snack combos include about 25-50% of your body weight in grams, with a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. This may vary a bit depending on your workout and goals – a distance runner may have different nutritional needs than a powerlifter looking to add mass. Because your cells are primed for nutrient uptake right after a workout, you want to be sure you get easily-absorbed, high-quality fuel to them quickly.
Here are a few ideas for post-workout snacks you can easily mix-and-match and throw in your bag so you can refuel without any major meal prepping, no matter where the day takes you. Just be sure to choose a combo with both protein and carbs!
- Protein powder of your choice
- Yumbutter Protein Probiotic Almond Butter - 10g protein per serving
- Jerky - look for a brand with low sugar and no nitrates/nitrites, MSG, or artificial colors
- Hemp hearts - 9.5g protein per 3 tbsp (and lots of healthy fats!)
- Greek Yogurt - if you don't like plain, look for one that's low in added sugar
- Canned chicken or tuna - choose a good quality, responsibly sourced brand
- Nuts or seeds
- Ezekial Bread with fresh fruit or preserves - it's also a complete protein and perfect for topping with nut butter!
- A piece of fruit or handful of berries
- Bars with clean ingredient lists
- Low sugar granola, such as Purely Elizabeth
- Overnight oats in a jar
- A tortilla to wrap up that tuna, chicken, or hummus